Tuesday, June 14, 2005

My Four-year-old, going on Forty...

Our son is currently Four and half years old. Old enough to form full sentences, but young enough to not know the limits of the world around him. In short, he makes us laugh....a lot!

Two things happened this past week which come to mind... One morning, my wife is drinking coffee at the breakfast table while our son is having his cereal before heading off to school. My wife dashes to pick up the phone in the other room, reminding our son NOT to touch her coffee because it's hot.

She's back in the kitchen not 20 seconds later and there's our boy - pouring a cup of water INTO his mom's coffee mug. "What are you doing? I asked you not to touch my coffee." He looks up and smiles, pointing to the steam that is now disappearing from the coffe cup. "I'm putting out the fire!", he says proudly. "I'm playing fireman!"

Pretty cute stuff.

Story number TWO: While in a restaurant (Chili's, if you must know) I take my son to the bathroom. Inside the stall, he sits down and dutifully pees. All done - or so I think. He then stands up, and turns around to face the toilet. Why? Because he wants to now pee STANDING UP. (Just like Daddy does!) Of course, being Four, he doesn't quite understand that his bladder is already empty from peeing sitting down just seconds before. He looks down, frustrated and confused. No pee. Nothing.

He looks up at me, rather sadly, and says, "Oh....My penis died!"

I laughed so hard, that I could barely stand up. So unexpected what comes out of kids' mouths! So the next couple minutes was spent trying to explain to a little boy how the body functions when it comes to Pee-Pee & Poo-Poo. What fun!

These stories are just the tip of the iceberg, with many more to come I'm sure. For those of you out there raising your own, enjoy those moments. They are funny, and precious, and fleeting.

God love 'em!

No comments: