Thursday, April 30, 2009

INTERVIEW in MAGIC MAGAZINE! - MAY ISSUE, 2009

Hey Peoples!

You know, I keep trying to be diligent with the postings on this blog, but as always, time escapes me faster than a Del Taco emission and here I am once again trying to catch up.

Sorry.  : )

Anyhoooo..... I'm currently on the road once again - touring the western states with perfomances in Las Vegas, Lake Tahoe, San Francisco, San Jose and finally home again.  This time around has been a great opportunity to see old friends and hang, chat, grab lunch, you name it.

The day after I ended my week at the IMPROV at Harrah's Casino in Vegas, my friend Chris and I headed over to see Carrot Top's show at the Luxor.  (His real name is Scott, but like my nickname you get stuck with what people call you.)  last time I saw him live was a good 13+ years ago and he rocked the house much in the same manner he did way back then.  The show was roughly an hour and Forty-Five minutes!!!  Multi-media and rapid-fire jokes, one-liners and of course about 10 trunks full of props and gags, clothing and other bits of business.  And the audience ate it up.  Bravo Scotty!  Great job!

Tried to find a way to see Criss Angel's new show as well, but all deals were off.  The reviews to be honest haven't been the best, but I was curious to see the production side of the show especially with what Cirque brought to the table.  (Having grown up on circuses as a kid, I have a special fondness for the Cirque shows when it comes to their unique visual imagery and lighting and music.  Sometimes they hit the mark square on and create something that borders on spontaneous genius, and then other times....Well, they wind up looking like a bad parody of themselves.  With each new show they continue to push the theatrical envelope and unfortunately wind up so far away from any kind of reality to base their flights of fancy on that most audiences just shrug their shoulders and shake their heads.

Ah, but I digress...

I do believe I will make plans to jaunt to Vegas once again with my wife in a few weeks and catch Criss Angel's show, and also a new show that has been getting great word-of-mouth called "Peepshow".  Will let you know what I think of them both.  : )

The shows at Harrah's went fantastic.  Great crowds and I was encouraged that we had larger audiences than expected, what with the economy hitting the skids.  But Vegas surprisingly still had a heartbeat and the shows, restaurants and rows of slot machines and card tables were packed.  Sold quite a few "Chipper Lowell Experience!" T-shirts after each performance and loved the generosity of those contributing to a charity we've worked with throughout the years: Autism Speaks.  Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Drove to Reno and then finally landed in Tahoe today where we had a show this evening with more to come thru Sunday.  I was told 2 hours before showtime that we needed to change venues due to the 'regular' theater getting flooded by....get this.....the SWIMMING POOL located DIRECTLY ABOVE IT!!!

Carpeting, chairs, walls and the stage were all water-damaged.  Which isn't really a surprise to me....because over 18 years ago I performed on that very stage in a show called "Risque Business" and the VERY SAME THING HAPPENED back then!  It got so bad with the leaky pool and pipes above the theater that I can still remember the dancers in the show trying to perform while running around plastic buckets and trays placed strategically here and there to pick up the water drops!

Our company manager finally closed the show down until the hotel agreed to fix it all.  I'm guessing the old band-aid from 13 years ago must have finally worn away and we're all back to square one.  : )

The lake is still as beautiful as always and armed with a new high resolution still camera, I plan to take some cool photos which I'll display here or on the facebook page.  Stay tuned.


No comments: