Wednesday, February 20, 2008

And 2008 BEGINS!!!!......

Well, we're now into February and the last month and a half flew by faster than Lindsay Lohan racing to yet another nite-spot here in Hollywood. I'm guessing THAT's the KEY to stardom these days - Learn to drive badly, drink more than your body weight, and occassionally forget your panties, AND BAM! You're a bonofide STARLET! (Come to think of it, that describes quite a few of my old girlfriends from way back when....Hmmmmm, Lindsay does look familiar.)

New Year's EVE was a BLAST as I flew to Reno, Nevada to perform as a special guest in the show "REAL MAGIC" at the incredible Magic Underground Theater. This world-class venue is owned and operated by Mark & Jinger Kalin - outstanding illusionists and close friends of mine to boot. The "New Year's Eve" special event was completely SOLD-OUT, and was a blast to work. The audiences couldn't have been nicer and I really had a fantastic time. If you ever find youself in or around Northern Nevada, be sure to check it out! - www.magicunderground.com or www.bestmagicshow.com

Ran straight into several weeks of IMPROV comedy club bookings throughout California and Nevada. Performed with Jeremy Hotz, who's certifiable and thankfully just as hysterical onstage. It was a nice pairing and audiences ate it up. Thanks to ALL who bought "CHIPPER" T-shirts! Much appreciated!

This was followed by a week in Lake Tahoe at the IMPROV at Harrah's/Harvey's casino, during the town's Gay & Lesbian Ski Week festival. I'm not gay, but that didn't stop the fans and crowds from coming to the show. GREAT audiences! Also hosted a special event at the local ski resort, providing commentary during a costumed ski "parade" down the slopes to bleachers of attendees. The costumes were awesome with some being down-right bawdy and 'wink-wink' naughty in the Benny Hill vein. (Imagine large, fake body parts that don't normally see the light of day and you have a general idea. Let me put it this way -- I felt rather....small. 'nuf said.)

From there I barely made it through the snow and off the mountain and then drove the 9+ hours to Las Vegas where I performed at Harrah's IMPROV along with Rocky LaPorte. Although we've crossed paths several times over the years, this was the first chance we had to work together and the shows were smooth as silk....If silk was a piece of cloth that was considered funny. (Must work on my prose.)

Rocky is a great guy and now a good friend. Nice to work with fellow comics and performers who have a great heart and are simply 'good peoples'.

Kudos to Carl at the IMPROV who's been running the Vegas venue for 90 years or so. (So I'm bad at math.) It's always great to hang with him and the gang there at Harrah's. My friend Mac King continued to perform in the main showroom there. And once again, a plug. For a GREAT one-man show of comedy magic, be sure to check him out!

A much needed vacation finally arrived, and I rounded up the family for a snow trip to Big Bear in California. Hadn't planned on skiing, and truth be told I hadn't ski'd for YEARS, usually due to my constant performing schedule and NOT wanting a broken leg to deal with during my shows. But I figured I had a week after skiing to fully "recuperate" should I find myself in traction or have a pine tree accidentally implanted into my face.

So we decided to ski, and it was fanstastic! Seems we never really forgot how to ski as it all came back rather naturally. Only one 'fall', and that was because I was speeding. (ala Lohan) But the snow cushioned my body as I flipped head over heels like Rocky and Bullwinkle, hoping to create a giant cartoon snowball which never actually transpired.

Our son, Ethan, tried out his skiis - learning to "snow-plow" and walk sideways like a crab so he could walk up the hill. He now realizes this "skiing thing" may take a bit of practice, but he's hooked as badly as his parents are. Really hoping to get up to the snow at least 2-3 more times before this season ends. And not die. Simple plan. : )

I'm currently performing at the legendary Magic Castle, along with a good friend, Aaron Fisher, and a great "silent" act from Japan, Kenji. Strong show and I really enjoy working their Palace of Mystery theater. Strong reactions, repeat customers and even some partial standing ovations, which I must say made me feel very welcome. The Castle holds a special place for a lot of us who dabble in magic or the variety arts, and it's allowed us a place to try new routines, work with fellow magicians and workshop new jokes, lines, bits of business, etc... I've worked there on and off, whenever the busy calendar permits, over the past 17 years. Hard to believe it's been so long, and yet the Castle still stands. Hope it lasts forever, or at least just short of that. : )

Don't forget that come this April, we've got our show: BLiNK! - An Incredible Evening of Award-Winning Magic! This wonderful stage production features 4 of the best magical artists from around the world, and this year's line-up is no exception. The Magic of Jade, Christopher Hart, Murray Hatfield & Teresa, and yours truly serving up the comedy magic along with acting as the show's official host and emcee. For more information, please visit:

http://www.blinkshow.com

Saturday, April 12th - 8pm - Lancaster Performing Arts Center, Lancaster, CA
Sunday, April 13th - 2pm - California Centert for the Arts, Escondido, CA

As always, should you have ANY questions, answers, comments, smirks, winces, etc....please feel free to email me anytime:

chipper@chipper.tv

Website: http://www.chipper.tv

TAKE CARE!

Chipper : )

No comments: