My friend Tony was the one who relayed the message that Billy McComb had passed away. I didn't expect it to hit me as hard as it did, but there I was, realizing I was tearing up, and devastated at the news.
Billy McComb was one of the last true vaudevillians - a comedy magician, inventor and habitual storyteller. His life was one incredible anecdote after another, covering pretty much the entire globe. Billy would spin tall tales of his exploits, adventures and gigs throughout his entire life, except that the tales, though amazing, were never 'tall'. All true, all first-hand.
Billy became a fixture at Hollywood's Magic Castle. The unofficial mascot of the private club where generations of fellow magicians came and went. You could find him offering advice and stories to almost everyone who listened. Those who regarded him as just an old man were unfortunate to never have him on their side. At first it was his stories, but over the years I closely listened to his advice and it was priceless. He had a great knack for tweaking a joke, bending a line, pulling and squeezing the most laughter out of a perfected delivery. I admired him greatly.
He lived so long that you kind of fool yourself into thinking that he would always be around. The shock of hearing that he had passed on made you realize how mortal he was and how lucky you were to have known him, befriend him and call him a close friend.
Billy made it a point to always catch me when I performed at the Castle, and I felt it a privilige to know he was in the audience. He studied and eyeballed my performances and after the show would have some great suggestions for me. I valued all of them. I hope that wherever he happens to be strolling nowadays that he has a stage to perform on and students to mentor. Because of him the magic community is richer, stronger and more creative in its inspiration for new routines.
I have a recent picture of Billy and I hanging at the bar at the Magic Castle. It's up in my office and every time I look at it I chuckle a bit. Billy always made me smile.
Billy, I wish you well. Thank you for noticing a young upstart like me, and thinking that I might have some potential. You definitely made an impression on at least one performer, if not thousands over the last 60+ years. Take a bow, and a rest, Billy. Thanks for letting me know you.
- Chipper currently performs in his own stage show aptly titled, "The CHIPPER LOWELL EXPERIENCE!" at the Horizon Casino Resort in Lake Tahoe, Nevada. For more information, check out: http://www.chipperlowellexperience.com
Wednesday, May 03, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment